My Healthier Banana Muffins
I was going to make my husband some normal muffins the other day but then I knew I was going to eat like 10 out of 12 of them and I’m trying to get rid of my jelly belly, so I swapped out some of the ingredients for some healthy options on hand and they turned out pretty good actually! These muffins are also vegan friendly.
Because real maple syrup is pretty expensive, you could actually just swap out the same amount for sugar ..but then they aren’t going to be healthy but they will still be muffins. Maple syrup isn’t even thaaaaat healthy I don’t think but it’s better for the body than normal sugar.
And if you don’t have desiccated coconut just use 2 cups of flour instead. I just love coconut because it makes the outside of the muffin nice and chewy.
You can use any oil if you don’t have coconut oil but coconut oil is really good for your body and a healthy fat so yeah. Oh actually don’t use like olive oil or anything too strong tasting so maybe just canola oil or something if you don’t have coconut oil.
Put the coconut oil jar in a bowl of warm water to make the oil liquid if it is solidified.
If the mixture is a bit blobby and clumpy you could put some milk in it. I only had enough milk for one coffee so I just put the bowl under the tap and put a bit of water into it until it looked like muffin mixture.
And use ripe bananas because they have the most banana flavour. I remember mum used to use like pure black bananas when she would make banana cake and stuff but I opened one black banana I had and it just looked a bit gross so I didn’t want to fuck the whole thing up so I just used really ripe yellow/brown ones.
Makes 12 little muffins or 6 big ones… Or 8 medium ones? Probably I dunno. I make 12 little ones because I know straight away I’m going to eat about 3 while they’re warm no matter how big they are so I guess it’s better to eat 3 little ones than 3 big ones right.
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Quick Cook Oats
- 2t Baking Powder
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 3/4 Cup Mashed Banana
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- Wee Splash of Vanilla Essence
- Preheat your oven to 180 celcius.
- In a big bowl mix your dry ingredients. (If you have a sieve you can sift the flour and baking powder. If you don’t have one its okay because I’v never used one and my muffins were alright.)
- In another bowl mash up your banana with a fork.
- Mix the rest of the wet ingredients with the banana.
- Mix it all together. Don’t over do it.
- If the mixture is a bit clumpy mix in a little splash of milk or water.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so or until cooked.
- Taste test.